[R] regression parms var-cov matrix

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Apr 24 11:23:20 CEST 2003

    DavidP> Win2k, R1.6.2.
    DavidP> I've been using Splus 6.1 and wanted to try the same
    DavidP> regression analysis in R.  Using "names( blah.lm )"
    DavidP> in R yields

    DavidP> [1] "coefficients"  "residuals"     "effects"     "rank"
    DavidP> [5] "fitted.values" "assign"        "qr"          "df.residual"
    DavidP> [9] "xlevels"       "call"          "terms"       "model"

    DavidP> In Splus, the same command yields

    DavidP> [1] "coefficients"  "residuals"     "fitted.values" "effects"
    DavidP> [5] "R"             "rank"          "assign"        "df.residual"
    DavidP> [9] "contrasts"     "terms"         "call"

    DavidP> and blah.lm$R gives the variance-covariance matrix of the
    DavidP> model parameters.  How do get the variance-covariance matrix out
    DavidP> of R?  Apologies for such a simple question.

The most recommended way is to use the generic function  vcov()
which has methods for many classes, included "lm".

A bit more low level, but still reliable approach is to do what
vcov.lm does:
    vcov.lm <- function (object, ...)
    {
	so <- summary.lm(object, corr = FALSE)
	so$sigma^2 * so$cov.unscaled
    }

A much more low level (non-recommended) way would be to look at
<your lm object> $ qr  etc and replicate what summary.lm() is doing
for its $sigma and $cov.unscaled computations.

    DavidP> Much thanks in advance,

you're welcome!
Martin Maechler ETH Zurich