[R] tcltk tkfilefind demo problem

apjaworski@mmm.com apjaworski at mmm.com
Fri Apr 25 03:38:19 CEST 2003

Hi everyone,

I wonder if anybody observed the crash of the tkfilefind demo.  I looked
into the code and it seems to crash executing

        dirtree<-tkwidget(base, "hierarchy_dir",
                          root=path,
                          showparent="Parent",
                          showfiles=1,
                          showall=all.names,
                          selectmode=if(multiple) "multiple" else "browse")

with the following error message

Error in structure(.External("dotTcl", ..., PACKAGE = "tcltk"), class
= "tclObj") :
        [tcl] megawidget initialization error: expected integer but got "
--1".

I have a fresh binary install of 1.7.0 on Win2000 machine.  I observed this
behavior with the Tcl library included with R and with ActiveTcl 8.4.2 I
just installed.  I think I have it set-up correctly: my TCL_LIBRARY and
MY_TCLTK both point to c:/Tcl where I installed ActiveTcl.  I also have
c:/Tcl/bin on my path - to avoid possible interference with cygwin Tcl I
have the following in my Rprofile:

      Sys.putenv("Path"="c:/Tcl/bin;c:/cygwin/bin")

I can run the other demos successfully.  I also just ran all the examples
posted recently by James Wettenhall with no problems.

Any comments will be welcome.  Thanks in advance,

Andy

Andy Jaworski
Engineering Systems Technology Center
3M Center, 518-1-01