[R] Re: [R Thanks for help Writing a function

vincent.stoliaroff@socgen.com vincent.stoliaroff at socgen.com
Mon Apr 28 13:16:04 CEST 2003

Thank you very much

It works perfectly well

Have a wonderful day

|         |           ripley at stats.ox.a|
|         |           c.uk             |
|         |           04/28/03 12:58 PM|
  |       To:       Vincent STOLIAROFF/fr/socgen at socgen                                                                          |
  |       cc:       r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch                                                                                     |
  |       Subject:  Re: [R] Writing a function                                                                                   |

On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 vincent.stoliaroff at socgen.com wrote:

> I have written the following  function
>
> > ClearDeltaBis
> function(Matrix){
> for (i in 1:3)
>                         {
>                         for (j in 1:2)
>                                 {if (is.na(Matrix[i,j]))
> NA->(Matrix[i,j+1])}
>                         }
> Matrix
> }
>
> it looks correct but when I try to implement it on the MatCor Matrix I get
> this error message
>
> > ClearDeltaBis(MatCor)
> Error: couldn't find function "(<-"
>
> I don't understand where does it come from since I have no string like (<-
> in my code

You do, in the line

NA->(Matrix[i,j+1])

That's an unusual way of writing

(Matrix[i,j+1]) <- NA

and you have a set of parentheses there on the LHS of the assignment.
R is looking for a function "(<-" to implement this as

Matrix[i,j+1] <- "(<-"(NA)

You don't need (or want) the parentheses.

You might want to look up how functions on the LHS of assignments are
supposed to work in R.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk

Ce message et toutes les pieces jointes (ci-apres le "message") sont
confidentiels et etablis a l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires.
La SOCIETE GENERALE et ses filiales declinent toute responsabilite au
titre de ce message s'il a ete altere, deforme ou falsifie.
				********
This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidentia... {{dropped}}