[R] Interactive Input Problem

Sebastian Huber sebastian-huber at web.de
Wed Apr 30 17:28:42 CEST 2003

Hello,
thanks for the kind help.

On Wednesday 30 April 2003 15:07, you wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, Martin Wegmann wrote:
> > that looks more like a problem with your shell. which one are you using?
> > perhaps it it solved by using another one e.g. bash.  otherwise you can
> > find at the end of the *.pdf "R-intro"
> > http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-intro.pdf  a chapter called: the
> > command line editor perhaps that helps.

I looked only into the FAQs, but without success.

> Sorry, no, no shell is involved.  This is what happens in Unix R if the
> readline library is not compiled in/activated (you can start R with
> --no-readline).
>
> Since you said you built `R-base-1.7.0' (not sure what that is: an SRPM?)

It is R-1.7.0.tar.gz in combination with R-base-1.7.0.spec, works really good.

> my guess is that you don't have the readline development tools on your
> system.  Take a look at the configure output, and see what it said about
> readline. You may need to install libreadline-devel or something like
> that.

I guess that's it:

checking for pwd.h... yes
checking readline/history.h usability... no
checking readline/history.h presence... no
checking for readline/history.h... no
checking readline/readline.h usability... no
checking readline/readline.h presence... no
checking for readline/readline.h... no
checking for strings.h... (cached) yes

I wasn't aware that readline-devel exists.

Thanks
	Sebastian