[R] sorting factors

Thomas W Blackwell tblackw at umich.edu
Wed Apr 30 21:33:41 CEST 2003

Try

artic <- factor(as.character(artic),
	levels=c("lowlip","dental","apex"),
	ordered=T)

Or use the function ordered() instead of factor(),
and omit the last argument above ("ordered=T").
See  help("ordered").  I'm not sure whether I even
need the  as.character()  syntax in there after
read.table(),  but it can't hurt.

This is just a guess at an answer, because I'm not
sure I understand quite what question you are asking.

-  tom blackwell  -  u michigan medical school  -  ann arbor  -