[R] install.packages (newbie?) error

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Aug 4 11:32:33 CEST 2003

If you are using the Carbon version of R (there are *two* ports for MacOS
X) then install.packages() is not included.  (Where have you been reading
about it: under documentation for a different port?)

You need to get akima.sit from the /bin/macos/contrib area on CRAN.

On Sat, 2 Aug 2003, Åsa Byström wrote:

> I recently installed R 1.7.1 on Mac OS 10.2.6, and I now need to
> install the akima package. When I use install.packages(akima) or any
> variation of that command, I get the following message:
>
> Error: couldn't find function "install.packages"
>
> (I haven't had any problems with other commands so far, so I don't
> think there's a problem with the R installation. I also threw the whole
> thing out and re-installed R from scratch, but that didn't help.)
>
> I then tried simply downloading, unstuffing, and dragging the package

What do you mean by `the package'?  The sources, akima*.tar.gz or the
MacOS binary akima.sit?

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk