[R] Plot ticks and tick labels: thickness, colour?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Wed Aug 6 23:30:36 CEST 2003

I am displaying several series in one plot, and would like to make
them distinct without having to employ a legend.

I managed to color tickmarks, but have been unsuccessful with either one of

a) making tickmarks thicker (without increasing the axis at the same time).
   From reading ?axis:
       lty, lwd: line type, width for the axis line and the tick marks.
   in would appear that I cannot obtain the one _without_ the other; or

b) displaying the tick label in a different colour. Again, ?axis reads
     col: color for the axis line and the tick marks. [..]
   indicates that I can only set the tick mark, not the annotation.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance,  Dirk

--
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
                                                -- Groucho Marx