[R] capturing output from Win 98 shell

Simon Fear Simon.Fear at synequanon.com
Tue Aug 12 18:55:17 CEST 2003

Prof Brian Ripley writes:

> If you insist on using a long-obselete OS, please help us continue ot
> support it by supplying patches and workarounds.  I think we (like
> Microsoft) are going to have to think seriously about withdrawing
> support
> from non-NT-based versions of Windows fairly soon.

Believe me, using Win98 is NOT my choice. I would only ever use
Unix/Linux.
Are there other statisticians similarly limited?

I am already sticking my neck out quite a lot using R in an industry
obsessed
with SAS. If I tell IT I'm going to use a nonstandard shell, emacs, ess,
bash, and CygWin as well as R they'll probably revoke my username.

Still, I for one can understand withdrawing support for old OSs and if I
have
to stick with 1.7.1 as being the last version to work with Win98 so be
it -
it as, after all, as is, the most amazing piece of software any
statistician
could have wished for.

Simon Fear
Senior Statistician
Syne qua non Ltd
Tel: +44 (0) 1379 644449
Fax: +44 (0) 1379 644445
email: Simon.Fear at synequanon.com
web: http://www.synequanon.com

Number of attachments included with this message: 0

This message (and any associated files) is confidential and\...{{dropped}}