[R] The desire for prettier and cheaper images ...

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Aug 13 12:57:11 CEST 2003

    ChRi> This might be easy (but I didn't find an answer in the archives).
    ChRi> I'm trying to make nice looking images (using image()).

    ChRi> To make them look nice (not jagged), it usually takes
    ChRi> me at least 100x100 points. This can be slow for
    ChRi> frequent redraws.

and also for (postscript) printing.
For true image data, it would be nice to have "true pixel-map"
graphics as part of the basic graphic engine, but I'm not really
competent here

    ChRi> Is there a smarter (less point intensive) way?

    ChRi> I was thinking in terms of hexabins, for example,
    ChRi> which for much less jagged looking regions, or of an
    ChRi> option to image ( or a variation) which internally
    ChRi> increases the grid.

    ChRi> Any help welcome. Thanks in advance.

There's the "hexbin" package from Bioconductor for hexagonal bin
plots -- which really does help for some of the problems you mention.

Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>	http://stat.ethz.ch/~maechler/
Seminar fuer Statistik, ETH-Zentrum  LEO C16	Leonhardstr. 27
ETH (Federal Inst. Technology)	8092 Zurich	SWITZERLAND
phone: x-41-1-632-3408		fax: ...-1228			<><