[R] X11 not configured on linux RedHat 9

Marc Schwartz MSchwartz at medanalytics.com
Thu Aug 14 00:04:52 CEST 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 12:53, Justin Fay wrote:
> I'm using Linux version 2.4.20-8smp (gcc version 3.2.2, RedHat 9). I
> installed R-1.7.1-1.src.rpm following INSTALL. However, no X11 device is
> found when I run R.
>  > X11()
> Error in X11() : X11 is not available
>
> In the configuration, I found "checking for X... no"
>
> How do I configure so that X11 device capability is installed?

Justin,

Apologies for the delay in replying as I have been away from my computer
for a few hours.

In an effort to better assist (presuming someone else has not already
begun offline), can you provide some additional information about your
system.

You are using the 'smp' Linux kernel, which suggests the possibility of
a multi-processor system.  Is this correct?  FWIW, the latest official
RH kernel series is version 2.4.20-19.9.

You have used the source RPM for R. Can you provide the exact rpmbuild
command that you used to compile the source rpm?

Also, please provide the rpm installation command that you used.

Finally, please confirm the Linux GUI that you are using, which would by
default be GNOME, but of course could be KDE or another UI.

I am presuming that you are not running Linux purely in text console
mode?  I ask because of the possibility that an SMP box might be used as
a network server as opposed to a workstation configuration and of course
servers would be typically run in console mode to remove the GUI
overhead. This question is the equivalent of a hardware tech asking "Did
you plug it in?"  ;-)

Let me know on the above and I will do my best to assist. I have
compiled both the raw source tarball and the srpm on my (non-SMP) RH 9
system without problem (as have others) using the same gcc version.

Best regards,

Marc Schwartz