[R] Rcgi

Chris Evans chris1 at psyctc.org
Thu Aug 14 14:06:21 CEST 2003

On 30 Jul 2003 at 19:01, Chris Evans wrote:

> I am keen to look at Rcgi as I want to put up some simple bits of R to
> do prescribed tasks on HTML form input.  Rweb is overkill and
> worryingly flexible for what I want and it sounds as if Rcgi is more
> what I need.  However, I can't get any of the URLs I've found for it
> to work over the last few days.
>
> Does anyone have a recent copy they could Email me or a working URL
> for it?

Replying to myself to have this documented in the list archives.  I
had found the pointer to RCGI from the R-FAQ:
http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/~hornik/R/R-FAQ.html#R%20Web%20Interfaces

However, http://stats.mth.uea.ac.uk/Rcgi/ remains offline and Email
to Mark J. Ray bounces and I see that someone was asking if the
project was dead back in 2001 so I guess it should be removed from
the FAQ and I've Emailed Kurt Hornik to suggest that he changes that
section of the FAQ to remove Rcgi and add the excellent CGIwithR
package which does just what I want.  Thanks to David Firth for
writing it and to both he and Adelchi Azzalini for pointing it out to
me ... and to everyone on the R enterprise for this wonderful tool.

Trivial, less impressive than Adelchi Azzalini's example:
http://tango.stat.unipd.it/SN/sn-fit.html
but I am underway with the sorts of things I wanted to do:
   http://www.psyctc.org/stats/R/binconf1.html
   http://www.psyctc.org/stats/R/binconf2.html

One afterthought: does anyone have any ideas about how to secure
GGIwithR to prevent some idiot simply hitting repeatedly with a small
script to get a DoS on any server running it?  I suspect there may be
throtting settings I can use in Apache or even calls to the system
inside R to check how many instances of it are running ... but I
suspect that others are cleverer than I am at this sort of thing ....
or just less paranoid?!

Chris
--
Chris Evans <chris at psyctc.org>
Consultant Psychiatrist in Psychotherapy, Rampton Hospital;