[R] The snow package

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Sat Aug 16 00:24:01 CEST 2003

njmulakk <njmulakk at uclink.berkeley.edu> writes:

> I have a few questions regarding the snow package:
>
> 1) Is fine-grained parallelism even possible with R/snow?
>
> (ie, one task that spawns sub-tasks to do work, with results sent back to the
> parent task).
>
> The example(s) only seem to be totally-independent processing (which can be
> done just as easily
> with shell-script wrappers....)

You can use the underlying tools (rpvm or Rmpi) to do it.  I think
sockets, as well, but that might take slightly more thought.

> 2) If so, is an example available?

Not readily packaged up.

> 3. If not, then it is still worth messing with snow to see if you can get an R
> program to skip through multiple directories, doing the independent processing
> in each to avoid a potential race condition that could occur if multiple R
> process one with one .RData file.

Sure.  Or just make sure to load/save to other places besides .RData.

?save will help on that.

best,
-tony

--
A.J. Rossini
rossini at u.washington.edu            http://www.analytics.washington.edu/

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachme...{{dropped}}