[R] R-1.7.1 gets installed without default packages & without readline

Laurent Faisnel laurent.faisnel at ariase.com
Tue Aug 19 16:00:50 CEST 2003

Peter Dalgaard BSA wrote:

>Laurent Faisnel <laurent.faisnel at ariase.com> writes:
>

>>Hi all,
>>
>>Trying to install R-1.7.1 on a RedHat 8.0 platform, I have a few problems.
>>
>>R gets installed without default packages (but base and ctest) : make
>>script fails at the end of the procedure (configure is made
>>successfully). This is the (translated) log I have :
>>
>>/gcc -I../../../../include /usr/include/mysql  -D__NO_MATH_INLINES
>>-mieee-fp  -fPIC  -g -O2 -c ansari.c -o ansari.o
>>gcc: cannot specify -o with -c or -S and multiple compilations
>>make[5]: *** [ansari.o] Error 1
>>make[5]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/R-1.7.1/src/library/ctest/src'
>>make[4]: *** [all] Error 2
>>make[4]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/R-1.7.1/src/library/ctest/src'
>>make[3]: *** [all] Error 1
>>make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/R-1.7.1/src/library/ctest'
>>make[2]: *** [R] Error 1
>>make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/R-1.7.1/src/library'
>>make[1]: *** [R] Error 1
>>make[1]: Leaving directory// `/usr/local/R-1.7.1/src'
>>make: *** [R] Error 1
>>/
>>However it's possible to start R but I have only base and ctest, and
>>subsequently many warnings are displayed at startup. The only solution
>>I found was to copy-paste libraries from a RPM version (which gets
>>installed without trouble). Probably not a good solution. I already
>>read carefully R-admin. What should I try now ?
>>
>>Moreover, I have a problem with readline. First I did not manage to
>>make the configure script satisfied about readline. I found in R
>>archives that readline-devel should be present too. I downloaded it,
>>indeed the configure script is now OK with readline. But I still have
>>no command-line facilities enabled under R. Why ?
>>
>>[laurent at localhost home]# rpm -qva | grep readline
>>readline-4.3-3
>>readline-devel-4.3-3
>>readline41-4.1-14
>>

>You may need a "make distclean" step to purge what got messed up on
>previous builds.

Surely a good idea. I've just ran a make distclean without trouble. But
I still have the same kind of problem. To be as precise as possible, the
first error in the make log is 'link edition not done' about
/usr/lib/mysql. How could I make it ? Anyway, why would MySql prevent R
from getting installed properly ? I intend to use RMySQL, but this
should come into consideration later !

>The other issue seems to be due to a missepecification of your header
>files.

That's what I would have guessed too. I just tried to copy readline.h
(which was in /usr/lib/mysql, by the way) into R directory, without
success (it did not change anything).

> I think there wants to be a -I infront of /usr/include/mysql
>there.

What should I do then ?

Thanks for the fast answer.
Best regards,