[R] logistic regression without intercept

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Tue Aug 19 23:57:16 CEST 2003

I want to do a logistic regression without an intercept term.  This
option is absent from glm, though present in some of the inner functions
glm uses.  I gather glm is the standard way to do logistic regression in
R.

Hoping it would be passed in, I said
> r <- glm(brain.cancer~epilepsy+other.cancer, c3,
>        family=binomial(link="logit"), intercept=FALSE)
which produced
Error in glm.control(...) : unused argument(s) (intercept ...)

Is there an easy way to do this?  I suppose I could start hacking away
at glm so it would take the argument and pass it on, but is it absent
for a reason?

Also, I noticed that S-Plus but not R has a glim routine that uses
maximum likelihood.  What would be the equivalent?

Thanks.