[R] query on converting survey data from one structure to another

Vumani Dlamini dvumani at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 20 09:13:54 CEST 2003

Dear R users,

I am trying to convert a dataset from one format to several rectangular
datasets. A consultant helped design the data entry program for our survey
using Delphi/Pascal and for each household the information is stored in a
file called "EA-HM-HH.TXT" where EA is the enumeration area number, HM is
the homestead number and HH is the household number. Within this file the
data is stored as follows,

###### file="5677-001-001.TXT" ######
EAnumber=5677
HMnumber=001
HHnumber=001
# Demographics section
Dserial=01   #first person in household
Dage=56
Dsex=1
Dserial=02   #second person in household
Dage=44
Dsex=2
Dserial=03   #second person in household
Dage=7
Dsex=2
# Agricultural inputs section
Amaize=200
Apumpkins=50
###### end of file ########

Note that in the demograpics section there may only be less than 3 or more
people in some households. I would like to create a file for the
demographics section which is as follows

EAnumber|HMnumber|HHnumber|Dserial|Dage|Dsex
5677 001 001 056 1
5677 001 001 044 2
5677 001 001 007 2

and for the agricultural inputs I would like to have,

EAnumber|HMnumber|HHnumber|Amaize|Apumpkins
5677 001 001 0200
5677 001 001 0050

There are several similar files where the EA number, HM number or HH number
changes, thus I would also like to know whether it is possible to create a
script where for all household there is only one dataset for demographics,
and one for agricultural inputs.

Thanking you as always.

Vumani Dlamini