[R] Importing data into R

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Aug 21 23:12:56 CEST 2003

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Gavrilov, Pavel M wrote:

> Hello.  I have been working with GeoDA, and have created a spatial weights
> file for my data.  I am now looking to use R to run regressions on this
> data.  However, I don't know and can't figure out how to get my data into R
> to run these regressions.

GeoDa spatial weights files may be read into R using the read.gal() and
read.gwt2nb() functions in the contributed package "spdep". These
functions have been improved by the authors of GeoDa to play well with its
output. read.geoda() in "spdep" is a wrapper for read.csv().

> I have the data in many formats, from a .dbf file to an Excel spreadsheet,
> but I'm not sure how to go about importing it into R.  Could you help me out
> please?  Thanks.

These more general questions are handled - as many have pointed out - in
the data import/export manual:

http://cran.r-project.org/doc/manuals/R-data.pdf