[R] a pickle (solved first part now need r's from data)

John Christie jc at or.psychology.dal.ca
Fri Aug 22 14:18:15 CEST 2003

On Friday, August 22, 2003, at 01:44  AM, John Christie wrote:

> I predicted that y would increase as x increased.  However, I only
> made the prediction on the ranks of the scores.  The ranks don't
> correlate with predicted.  And, I don't think a regression on the
> ranks is warranted.  However, the actual scores do yield a significant
> slope for b, and a significant R^2 using a linear regression (y is the
> value and x is the predicted rank).  What should my argument be here?
> Should I have endorsed using the actual scores instead of ranks to
> begin for some reason that doesn't have anything to do with my current
> result? :)

OK, now I realize that I should probably not have been correlating
ranks in the first place because my real data may have had a
non-linear, but still steadily increasing, slope.  The ranks would tend
to increase variance where the slope was low and ruined my chance of
finding an effect.

> Oh, on another note, I can use rcorr to get the Spearman correlations,
> but I'd like to be able to just add
> the ranks as a column.  I was going to just use order and add a simple
> factor.  But, that doesn't deal with ties correctly.

still don't have these yet.