[R] setting xlim and ylim with asp=1

Angel angel_lul at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 25 14:58:34 CEST 2003

Thanks for the advise. Sorry, I should have explained better.
As you say xlim and ylim have an effect. But when they do not match the
width and height of the plot region , one of them is modified in order to
make the plot fill the whole plot region with the aspect ratio given.
I would have expected that because I give asp, xlim and ylim, then the plot
region would be automatically modified.
After reading An Introduction to R, I would have expected R to automatically
do something like:

xlim<-c(-1,1)
ylim<-c(-1,2)
xyratio=abs((xlim[1]-xlim[2])/(ylim[1]-ylim[2]))
width<-par("pin")[1]
height<-par("pin")[2]
if (height>width/xyratio) height=width/xyratio else if(height<width/xyratio)
width=height*xyratio
par(pin=c(width,height))

And, now, I get what I wanted:
plot(boxxy,type="l",xaxs="i",yaxs="i",xlim=c(-1,1), ylim=c(-1,2),asp=1)

That was exactly what I actually wanted to do.

Obviously, because I am setting the aspect ratio through par("pin"), now I
get the same plot without the asp option.
plot(boxxy,type="l",xaxs="i",yaxs="i",xlim=c(-1,1), ylim=c(-1,2))

I though I could ask why this is not done automatically, from my point of
view, the most sensible thing would be that if I give asp, xlim and ylim
then the plot region is modified to satisfy them (and not xlim or ylim
modified to satisfy the plot region defaults).
Anyway, thanks for the advice.
Angel