[R] plot empirical pdf

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Aug 26 09:30:19 CEST 2003

    Ott> Hi, are there any function to plot the empirical
    Ott> probability distribution function?  I just don't want
    Ott> to reinvent the wheel...

As Uwe has already said, the standard "stepfun" package does this
-- and more.  The idea of that mini-package was to introduce a
class "stepfun" for (1D) step functions, and a class "ecdf" which extends
"stepfun" -- at the same time demonstrating how R functions can
be used to return other R functions (with an own environment
where all information is stored).  For many, it can be quite
instructive to study  example(stepfun)  and  example(ecdf)
and the R source behind it.

Martin