[R] discriminant function

Frank Gibbons fgibbons at hms.harvard.edu
Tue Aug 26 16:20:25 CEST 2003

Stefan,

I asked the same question last week. As Brian Ripley, its author, said then
(and others), the only way to see what's going on is to read the code. It's
pretty complicated statistically (that's why the performance is so good!),
many of the details are in chapter 2 of Pattern Recognition & Neural
Networks. The upshot is that it's really not that easy to come up with a
simple equation to encompass all of what lda.R does, unfortunately.

You can get the scaling factors programmatically for the centered variables
by running coef() on the LDA object, or just using the
'<lda_object>$scaling' That's a start, but there's a long way to go from
there....

-Frank