[R] Simple simulation in R

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Tue Aug 26 18:47:39 CEST 2003

I believe simple math stat calculations should be sufficient for this.

For simplicity, assume X1 through X4 are iid with mean m and variance v.

Note that

  var1 = (3*var2 + x4) / 4

so

  cov(var1, var2) = cov(var2, (3*var2 + x4)/4)

and since var2 and x4 are independent, this covariance can be simplified.
Carry this through and substituting in m and v in the appropriate places
should give you the covariance (and hence correlation) in terms of m and
v.

Andy