[R] R on Linux/Opteron?

Peter Dalgaard BSA p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Aug 26 23:50:21 CEST 2003

Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 26, 2003 at 03:17:19PM -0400, Liaw, Andy wrote:
> > Has anyone tried using R on the the AMD Opteron in either 64- or 32-bit
> > mode?  If so, any good/bad experiences, comments, etc?  We are considering
> > getting this hardware, and would like to know if R can run smoothly on such
> > a beast.  Any comment much appreciated.
>
> http://buildd.debian.org/build.php?&pkg=r-base&arch=ia64&file=log
>
> has logs of R builds on ia64 since Nov 2001, incl. the outcome of make
> check. We do not run the torture tests -- though I guess we could on some of
> the beefier hardware such as ia64.

I don't think that's quite the same beast, though. Opterons are the
"x86-64" (or amd64) architecture and ia64 is Intel's, aka Itanium.
Debian appears to be just warming up to including this architecture:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-x86-64/2003/debian-x86-64-200308/threads.html
whereas they have had ia64 out for a while.

SuSE has an Opteron option and Luke said he tried it. Apparently it
has a functioning 64-bit compiler toolchain - I weren't sure earlier
whether they were just running a 64bit kernel and 32bit applications,
but when Luke says so, I believe it...