[R] Seeking Packaging advice

Roger Koenker roger at ysidro.econ.uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 27 16:29:33 CEST 2003

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Ross Boylan wrote:
>
> > So do people have any thoughts about whether introducing this is a step
> > forward or back?
>
> A useful analogue: we now distribute Fortran code not the original Ratfor.

As a footnote to Brian's comment, I would just say that those hardy
few of us who still write ratfor can and do include it in a subdirectory
under src since it tends to be vastly more readable than its automatically
produced fortran translation.  But we have also learned from hard
experience that one can't always rely on  the ratfor preprocessing
that is provided by systems even when it exists.

url:	www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger/my.html	Roger Koenker
email	rkoenker at uiuc.edu			Department of Economics
vox: 	217-333-4558				University of Illinois
fax:   	217-244-6678				Champaign, IL 61820