[R] Exporting R graphs (review)

Peter Dalgaard BSA p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Wed Aug 27 17:46:53 CEST 2003

Marc Schwartz <MSchwartz at medanalytics.com> writes:

> On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 09:21, ucgamdo at ucl.ac.uk wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> >    Yesterday I posted my first couple of questions (see bottom of this
> > message) to this forum and I would like to thank you guys for all the
> > useful feedback I got. I just would like to make some comments:
> >
> > 1. Exporting R graphs as vector graphics:
> >
> > The best answer came from Thomas Lumley <tlumley at u.washington.edu>
> > He suggested using the RSvgDevice package. As far as I know SVG graphics
> > can be manipulated with OpenOffice and also with sodipodi, I'll check this
> > package out asap. This should apply to linux and win users.
>

> Just a quick heads up that you can export SVG format files from OOo
> Draw. However, there is no present ability to import them into the OOo
> apps.
>
> According to OOo's IssueZilla, there are no plans to suport SVG import
> prior to version 2.0.
>
> There is however a fair amount of pressure to do so as SVG formats
> become more prevalent as a cross-platform vector format, especially now
> that web apps like Mozilla/Firebird are building support for it.

There is also the option of writing a driver specifically for oodraw's
format (zipped XML files, mainly). AFAICT, this is mainly a whole lot
of red tape, with the actual plotting specified in sections like

<draw:polyline draw:style-name="gr6" draw:layer="layout"
svg:width="6.272cm" svg:height="5.269cm" draw:transform="rotate
(-0.767770337952161) translate (16.15cm 9.809cm)" svg:viewBox="0 0
6272 5269" draw:points="0,3261 325,6 3206,0 3755,5268 6271,3261"/>

I.e. it doesn't look impossible, but might require a bit of stamina...

In principle you could also try xfig()->CGM->oodraw and maybe other
routes using fig2dev but I can't vouch for the quality.