[R] Shared library loading in Win R 1071 and previous Win R versions

Paul Y. Peng ypeng at math.mun.ca
Sat Aug 30 17:26:20 CEST 2003

I recently upgraded R from rw1051 to rw1071 on a Win98se system and
surprisingly found my DLL library does not work any more. When I
tried to load the dll file by dyn.load("my.dll"), I got the following
message:

  Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
          unable to load shared library "C:/temp/my.dll":
    LoadLibrary failure:  A device attached to the system is not
functioning.

I cannot figure out what is meant by this message. The DLL library has
been working up to version rw1062. I checked CHANGES in rw1071 directory
did not find anything related to loading a shared library. Can anyone
enlighten me on this?

Since rw1071 does not work, I am thinking to install rw1062 instead.
However, the "old" link in

   http://lib.stat.cmu.edu/R/CRAN/bin/windows/base/

does not work. Is this right place to get an old version of R?

Thanks.
Paul.