[R] help with random numbers and Rmpi

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Mon Dec 1 22:20:58 CET 2003

Faheem Mitha <faheem at email.unc.edu> writes:

> On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, A.J. Rossini wrote:
>

>> use snow.
>>
>> The general approach highlighted in
>>
>> http://www.analytics.washington.edu/~rossini/courses/cph-statcomp
>>
>> in Lab 4 works with Rmpi as well.
>
> Forgive my cluelessness, but are the slaves spawned by snow R slaves or C
> slaves? I need to work low level with C.

R slaves.

If you need to work with C slaves, you need to be pretty careful with
SPRNG.

Is there a reason you can't use C from R code?  If so, you get SPRNG
for free, if not, it's a royal pain.

I'd be careful about SPRNG's MPI code, as well -- works with MPICH,
but it's been touchy with LAM-MPI, at least with the versions (LAM,
MPICH) I've worked with.  And versions seem to be somewhat important.

best,
-tony

--
rossini at u.washington.edu            http://www.analytics.washington.edu/
Biomedical and Health Informatics   University of Washington

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachme...{{dropped}}