[R] smoothing functions

Thomas W Blackwell tblackw at umich.edu
Tue Dec 2 03:05:03 CET 2003

Eugene  -

Is the estimand in your problem (the parameter which you seek
to estimate) discrete-valued or continuous-valued ?  If it is
discrete-valued, then you are heading in the wrong direction,
because no matter how smooth you make the objective function,
you will not be able to differentiate it with respect to the
parameter !   I think I don't have quite enough information
to give a helpful answer to your question  . . .  but more
important is for you to find the answer yourself.

-  tom blackwell  -  u michigan medical school  -  ann arbor  -