[R] contributed packages not found

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Tue Dec 2 22:57:42 CET 2003

Hank Stevens <HStevens at muohio.edu> writes:

>    Windows 2000, R 1.6.1
>    When I try use the menu to download and install new packages, the
>    result looks like this:
>    {a <- CRAN.packages()
>    + install.packages(select.list(a[,1],,TRUE), .libPaths()[1],
>    available=a)}
>    trying URL `[1]http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/PACKAGES'
>    Error in download.file(url = paste(contriburl, "PACKAGES", sep = "/"),
>    :
>    cannot open: HTTP status was `404'
>    Is this no longer the path to the packages? Can I fix this without
>    updating R?
>    Many thanks,
>    Hank Stevens

As checking with a browser might have told you, we now have

http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/1.6
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/1.7
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/1.8
http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/1.9

which might give you an idea what to fix.