[R] non-uniqueness in cluster analysis

Thomas W Blackwell tblackw at umich.edu
Wed Dec 3 15:49:18 CET 2003

Bruno  -

Many people add a tiny random number to each of the distances,
or deliberately randomize the input order.  This means that
any clustering is not reproducible, unless you go back to the
original randoms, but it forces you not to pay attention to
minor differences.

Ah, I think you're asking about bootstrap confidence intervals
for the set of descendants from each interior vertex.  This is
certainly routine procedure when inferring evolutionary trees,
but I'm not sure any of that code has been re-implemented in R
or Splus.

-  tom blackwell  -  u michigan medical school  -  ann arbor  -