[R] regression with limited range response

Peter Flom flom at ndri.org
Thu Dec 4 17:39:49 CET 2003

Kim

This would depend a lot on how the DV is distributed within the 0-100
range.  It's even conceivable that the usual linear model could be used
without much problem (e.g. if the mean is 50 and the sd is small, then
the bounds of 0 and 100 will exist more in theory than in practice; of
course, you'd still want to do a lot of diagnostics).

0 to 100 makes me think of a percent, there are methods for dealing
with percents.

More generally, you may want to look at
Long, JS (1997). Regression Models for Categorical and Limited
Dependent Variables. Sage.

which I find useful frequently.

HTH

Peter

Kim Mouridsen wrote:

>Dear R experts
>

>How can you perform a regression analysis in R when the dependent
>variable is countiuous but bounded, say between 0 and 100?
>
>I would be grateful for pointers to R-functions but also for hints to
>relavant litterature since I have never worked with this problem
before.

>Thanks in advance.
>
>Kim Mouridsen.
>

>	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Peter L. Flom, PhD
Assistant Director, Statistics and Data Analysis Core
Center for Drug Use and HIV Research
National Development and Research Institutes
71 W. 23rd St
www.peterflom.com
New York, NY 10010
(212) 845-4485 (voice)