[R] bug in as.POSIXct ?

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Thu Dec 4 22:55:35 CET 2003

The other strategy is to use the chron package for
representing times as it does not use timezones.

---
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 13:42:24 -0600
From: <apjaworski at mmm.com>
To: Jason Turner <jasont at indigoindustrial.co.nz>
Cc: <r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch>
Subject: Re: [R] bug in as.POSIXct ?

Thanks very much for your response and the earlier one by Professor Ripley.

The general problem is indeed a tricky one.

My particular problem was much simpler. I had a bunch of data from a data
acquisition system with sampling interval of 1 minute. The system used a
simple compression scheme, where a data point was reported only when the
change in response was sufficiently large. For example, a fragment like
this

Oct. 26 0:01:00 y1
Oct. 26 0:05:00 y2

means that the values for 0:02, 0:03 0:04 where essentially y1.

I needed to "decompress" the data set, i.e., fill in the gaps, so I was
checking for differences of 1 minute and that is when I discovered the
"error".

I am not sure what the difference between Oct. 26 0:59:00 and Oct. 26 1:00
should really be, but in this particular application it had to be 1 minute.
Otherwise I generated 60 spurious gaps between these two times.

Andy

__________________________________
Andy Jaworski
518-1-01