[R] Interrupt handling

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Dec 4 23:09:36 CET 2003

The short answer is `no', nothing has changed since 1.8,0.  There was a
change at 1.8.0, and that was deliberate and described in the NEWS file.
You seem rather confused about this!

A slighter longer answer is that this depended on your unnamed OS having
such interrupts, so for many R users there was no such facility.
Surely the right thing to do is to make your C code interruptible by
inserting calls to R_CheckUserInterrupt() so interrupts occur at planned
places and work on all platforms.  (That's a little harder to do with
Fortran code, something I plan to address before 1.9.0.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk