[R] grid packages since R-1.7.1

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan at stat.wisc.edu
Fri Dec 5 06:23:12 CET 2003

On Thursday 04 December 2003 21:19, Patrick Connolly wrote:
> I'm having a spot of bother using code that worked with R-1.7.1 but
> will not work with 1.8.1.
>
> The beginning of the saga is with grid.polygon ostensibly not
> findable.  One does exist in ..../R-1.8.1/library/grid/R, and when I
> specifically load the grid package (which probably isn't a good idea),
> it starts finding fault with the length of vectors being unequal.
>
> I suspect the lengths of the vectors has more to do with a scoping
> error.  If I understood why grid.polygon wasn't being found, and what
> I should do about it instead of what I did, I suspect the length of
> vectors problem would vanish.  It works as I'd expect in 1.7.1.
>
> I've been using this same .Rprofile for all versions:
>
> options(defaultPackages =  c("mva", "lattice"), keep.source.pkgs = TRUE)
>
> It's rather unlikely that I should specifically load grid also, but

That's exactly what you need to do (i.e., load grid explicitly). This has to
do with namespaces, which makes some earlier notions obsolete. lattice
'imports' grid function definitions but by itself no longer makes them
available/visible to the user.

This of course doesn't explain any problems in grid.polygon after loading
grid. grid.polygon has changed in 1.8.1, but I think it is supposed to be
back-compatible. Could you provide a reproducible example ?

Deepayan