[R] extracting p value from GEE

Emmanuel Paradis paradis at isem.univ-montp2.fr
Fri Dec 5 15:48:41 CET 2003

At 11:53 04/12/2003 +0000, vous avez écrit:
>Dear R users,
>
>If anyone can tell me how to extract the p values from the output of gee?

They are easily computed from the output of summary(gee(...)) which prints
either a "z" or a "t" depending in the "family" option. z follows, under
the null hypothesis, a normal distribution N(0, 1), you have the
corresponding P-value with (for a two-tailed test):

2 * (1 - pnorm(abs(z)))

t follows a 'Student' distribution with df degrees of freedom given by N- k
- 1, where N is the number of observations, and k is the number of
estimated paramaters. I think, but am not definitely sure, that N is
counted among all clusters, and k is the number of parameters in the GLM
eventually included the estimated scale (correlation parameters are not
counted). As above, you have the P-value with:

2 * (1 - pnorm(abs(t), df))

HTH

Emmanuel Paradis