[R] s-plus to R

Duncan Murdoch dmurdoch at pair.com
Fri Dec 5 17:47:07 CET 2003

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 16:33:15 +0000 (UTC), Ognen Duzlevski
<maketo at sdf.lonestar.org> wrote :

>Hi, I have a piece of code originally written for s-plus - I am trying to
>run it in R now. The code was obtained from someone who is now not
>available to give any pointers and I am a beginner in R. Here is where it
>is getting stuck:
>
>> +names(good.motifs[,1])
>Error in +names(good.motifs[, 1]) : Invalid argument to unary operator
>
>here is now names(good.motifs,1]) looks:
>> names(good.motifs[,1])
>[1] "Motif.P1.8.3"  "Motif.P1.9.14" "Motif.P1.10.1" "Motif.P1.11.8"
>[5] "Motif.P1.15.1"
>
>Can anyone help with an equivalent in R?

I think in S-PLUS the "+" does nothing on a character vector, so the
equivalent is

 names(good.motifs[,1])

However, it seems likely that some formatting or other error has
messed up the original code; why would the original author have added
a redundant +?

Duncan Murdoch