[R]: global and local variables

allan clark allan at stats.uct.ac.za
Tue Dec 9 12:17:59 CET 2003

   Hi all

   I have a problem pertaining to local and global variables.

   Say I have a function defined as follows:

   a<-function(x)
   {y<x^2}

   i.e
   a(2)
   [1] 4

   function b is now defined to take the value of y and do some
   manipulation with it. As it stands I dont know how to store the
   variable y such that other functions are able to reference its value.

   I know that I can simply put the operations found in b simply into a
   but this is not what I want.

   I would like to have stand alone functions say

   a, b and c which could be run independently as well as have a function
   called say

   control that can run a, b and c.

   i.e.

   control<- function( x)
   {
   a(x)
   b(x)
   c(x)
   }

   I hope that you guys understand what I'm trying to do.

   Cheers
   Allan