[R] problem with pls(x, y, ..., ncomp = 16): Error in inherit s( x, "data.frame") : subscript out of bounds

ryszard.czerminski@pharma.novartis.com ryszard.czerminski at pharma.novartis.com
Tue Dec 9 19:56:12 CET 2003

Help for pls says:

> ?pls
[...]
Arguments:
   ncomp: the numbers of latent variables to be assessed in the
          modelling. Default is from one to the rank of 'X'.
[...]

so my assumption was (maybe wrong) that idea of ncomp parameter is to
limit
number of assessed variables.

also, if called without crossvalidation it gives the same error:

> m <- pls(x, y, ncomp = 16)
Error in inherits(x, "data.frame") : subscript out of bounds

"Liaw, Andy" <andy_liaw at merck.com>
12/09/2003 12:50 PM

        To:     Ryszard Czerminski/PH/Novartis at PH, r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
        cc:
        Subject:        RE: [R] problem with pls(x, y, ..., ncomp = 16): Error in inherit s( x,
"data.frame") : subscript out of bounds

I don't know the details of pls (in the pls.pcr package, I assume), but if
you use validation="CV", that says you want to use CV to select the best
number of components.  Then why would you specify ncomp as well?

Andy