[R] How to start RMySQL

David James dj at research.bell-labs.com
Thu Dec 11 00:31:55 CET 2003

Jeff Lee wrote:
> I am a newbie in R and want to use MySQL database.  Here is what I have and
> done.
>
> R 1.8.0
> mysql 4.0.16
>
> Both running in Windows XP.  I download the RMySQL.zip from the internet and
> used the Packages installer in the RGui to install RMySQL.  I also installed
> DBI packages.  I ran the following  and got the error.

You don't mention what version of RMySQL you're using or where
you got it from, but in any case you should update to R 1.8.1 and
make sure you run the latest RMySQL_0.5-3.zip.  The error you're
reporting is coming from the methods package and ways to fix it
were discussed last month in this list.  Again, the easiest thing
is simply to update 1.8.1.

Hope this helps,

--
David