[R] mode

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Dec 12 05:14:05 CET 2003

On 11 Dec 2003, Douglas Bates wrote:

> "Christian Mora" <christian_mora at vtr.net> writes:
>
> > How can I get the mode (most frequent value) from a dataset (continuos
> > variables)? I can obtain it when the data is discrete (by making a table
> > and looking at the higher frequency) but I don't know how obtain it
> > from, for example, a density plot of the data. Does anyone know how to
> > do it? Thanks
>
> I don't think the mode of a sample from a continuous random variable is well
> defined.

I agree, but one might take the viewpoint that if this were assumed to be
an iid sample from a unimodal distribution, can one estimate the mode?
Or if from a bi-, tri- modal etc can one estimate the number and position
of the modes?  There is quite a lot of work on those problems: here is a
link to one approach:

http://www.isi-2003.de/guest/3112.pdf?MItabObj=pcoabstract&MIcolObj=uploadpaper&MInamObj=id&MIvalObj=3112&MItypeObj=application/pdf

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk