[R] reverse lexicographic order

Thomas W Blackwell tblackw at umich.edu
Sun Dec 14 22:45:41 CET 2003

Murray  -

If you could guarantee that all of the email addresses have
exactly one occurrence of the "@" character in them, then
something like

spit <- do.call("rbind", strsplit(addresses, "@", FALSE))

will produce a data frame with either two or three character
vectors as the columns, in which user name is a separate
column from the domain name.  Now use

spit <- spit[ order(spit[ ,3], spit[ ,1]), ]

to re-sort the data frame by user name within domain name,
and  paste()  to put the columns back together again.

-  tom blackwell  -  u michigan medical school  -  ann arbor  -