[R] mailing list for basic questions

Mon Dec 15 19:03:11 CET 2003

Dear R-user,

I started a few month ago with R and now I think that it is a great program

but in the beginning I was close to give up, because I did not manage to
read
in my files, did not know how the indexing works, where my results are or
did
not understand how R saves my data and so on.
And last but not least the command line might be a hurdle as well for people

who always used graphical user interfaces. And it takes time to see the
advantages of the command line.

Of course all these questions can easily be answered by reading the manuals,

FAQ or various books, but this takes time and might be frustrating because
you don't find the right chapter at once.

Asking such question on this list might annoy people because some questions

are asked frequently or are already mentioned in the FAQ's.

Therefore the few R user in this dept. decided to setup a R-beginner
mailing-list for internal use only but because we are only a couple of
active user we would like to involve more people who call themself R
beginner.

Martin Maechel told me, that the idea of such a list has been rejected in
the past,
because of various reason.

I am aware that medium-experienced R user might teach some "wrong" stuff,
but our main
idea behind this mailing list are real basic questions like understanding
and getting used to
the command line (read in your data etc.) because we made the experience
that these few
steps are the steepest and might stop somebody from further using R.

I would like to know if there are some people on this list, who call
themselves beginners or
have students who are about to make their first steps in R and would like to
use this list
as well.

best regards Martin