[R] mailing list for basic questions - preliminary sum up

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Tue Dec 16 17:20:32 CET 2003

      I agree with Tony's observation that well thought out questions
are more likely to receive an answer than something that is long,
rambling, and poorly focused.  Many questions take more time to read
than I have available, so I don't bother.  I like questions that include
toy examples in a few lines of code that I can copy from an email into R
and test ideas.  Careful formatting that looks pretty in an email is an
obstacle for me, because it increases the work required to get it into
R.  Many questioners could answer their own problems in the process of
generating such a toy example.  When they can't, that exercise helps
them focus the question, which makes it easier for potential respondents
to understand the problem and reply.  Without that, I must either
generate a toy example myself (which I've done many times) or respond
with untested code and risk looking stupid when my untested suggestion
doesn't work.

      hope this helps.
      spencer graves