[R] variance estimates in lme biased?

Gary Allison allison.100 at osu.edu
Wed Dec 17 14:43:54 CET 2003

Pascal,
If every run of my simulation produced results like you saw, I would not
be concerned.  But a sizable fraction of my simulation runs produce much
larger standard deviations in level 1, though level 3's estimates stay
small.  I've posted the results from 500 runs at:

http://david.science.oregonstate.edu/~allisong/R/nestVar_toR2.csv
http://david.science.oregonstate.edu/~allisong/R/nestVar_toR2.pdf
(and the code that produced it)
http://david.science.oregonstate.edu/~allisong/R/NestedSim_toR2.R

- compare the range of estimated variances for level 1 vs. level 3
(levels with no simulated variance).  For example, what do you make of
run 6?

My concern is how I am to interpret some experimental results I have
where both level 1 and level 2 standard deviations are high. I'm perplexed.

Thanks,
Gary