[R] mailing list for basic questions - preliminary sum up

Tom Mulholland tmulholl at bigpond.net.au
Thu Dec 18 01:15:16 CET 2003

I have empathy for lots of the points already made, more often on the life
is not always easy and you have to work at it flavour because that's where
you make the real gains.

One particular message early in the piece cited an example of what a good
request might look like. Other lists sometime send out regular messages
(although they tend to be about the rules of the list) that are intended to
make sure that important pieces of information are regularly repeated.

I know that there is more than enough talent on this list to put together
suggestions for getting quick responses that could be sent out regularly.
The sorts of things that might be in it would be when you should attach
details of operating system, version etc. (or if they should always be
there) as well as comments like those by Spencer Graves and it could include
the checklist that someone mentioned (I think that was Frank Harrell). It
would almost be a pro-forma for messages and while people don't have to use
it, it may help those who do think before they post (we'll never stop some
people, because that's just the way they are)

Tom Mulholland
Tom Mulholland Associates