[R] draft of posting guide

A.J. Rossini rossini at blindglobe.net
Sat Dec 20 17:55:44 CET 2003

"Gabor Grothendieck" <ggrothendieck at myway.com> writes:

> Thanks for your effort.  Here are some comments.
>
> 1. The guidelines seem only to cover people
> _asking_ questions.  What about those answering?

There is a reaosonble comment on that further down in Tony's list, and
also read Eric's guide to asking questions.  I really don't think you
want to go there.

> - insufficient discussion about the direction and
>   design and, in general, higher level issues.  If
>   you compare this to ruby, python, perl and lua
>   there are all sorts of interesting proposals and
>   discussions on this on their lists with little
>   counterpart on R's.

I'd claim that the folks inhabiting those lists, only the Python one
am I intimately familiar with, generally have a different set of
interests (though that is slowly changing with S/R being recognized as
a real programming language).  This list is of a far more
heterogeneous composition than those, and the points that you raise
here are more along the lines of R-devel, where that does occasionally
happen.

Of course, people that raise those issues, and back it up with
reasonable code and willingness to modify their work to fit the
general R picture, get sucked into R-core...(there are a few
exceptions, but very few).

best,
-tony

--
rossini at u.washington.edu            http://www.analytics.washington.edu/
Biomedical and Health Informatics   University of Washington

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and any attachme...{{dropped}}