[R] Plot a sphere

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Fri Dec 26 02:38:01 CET 2003

      A hemisphere is relatively easy;  try the following:

      x <- seq(-1, 1, length=21)
      Z <- outer(x, x, function(x, y)sqrt(1-x^2-y^2))
      persp(x=x, y=x, z=Z)

      A contour plot is also relatively easy:

      image(x=x, y=x, z=Z)
      contour(x=x, y=x, z=Z, add=T)

      However, if you want an honest perspective plot of a sphere
complete with the underside, etc., I know of nothing in R that could do
that.  S-Plus has "perspp", which could be used.  However, that seems to
be one of the few features available in S-Plus that is not currently
available in R.

       hope this helps.
      spencer graves