[R] Plot a sphere

Derick Schoonbee schoonbee at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 26 13:02:04 CET 2003

Uwe,

Thanks, I installed it and ran:

rgl.spheres(rnorm(10),rnorm(10),rnorm(10),radius=1,color=rainbow(10))

Nice :)

Thus, I'll give rgl a try but still would be 'stuborn' to see if I can
figure a way out to use persp.

Regards,
D.

From: Uwe Ligges <ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de>
To: Spencer Graves <spencer.graves at pdf.com>
CC: Derick Schoonbee <schoonbee at hotmail.com>,r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
Subject: Re: [R] Plot a sphere
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2003 12:48:49 +0100

Spencer Graves wrote:

 >       A hemisphere is relatively easy;  try the following:
 >
 >       x <- seq(-1, 1, length=21)
 >       Z <- outer(x, x, function(x, y)sqrt(1-x^2-y^2))
 >       persp(x=x, y=x, z=Z)
 >
 >       A contour plot is also relatively easy:
 >
 >       image(x=x, y=x, z=Z)
 >       contour(x=x, y=x, z=Z, add=T)
 >
 >       However, if you want an honest perspective plot of a sphere
 > complete with the underside, etc., I know of nothing in R that could do
 > that.  S-Plus has "perspp", which could be used.  However, that seems to
 > be one of the few features available in S-Plus that is not currently
 > available in R.

The R package "rgl" by Adler and Nenadic can plot spheres. It is
available at
http://wsopuppenkiste.wiso.uni-goettingen.de/~dadler/rgl/
  --- and looks like it will shortly become a CRAN package.

Uwe Ligges