[R] Read.table problem

ptremb17 ptremb17 at po-box.mcgill.ca
Sat Feb 1 03:25:03 CET 2003

Hi !

I am new to R, and using the MAC version onto Mac OS 9.1. My question concerns
the problem I encounter when I try to read some data I have using the
read.table function. I always get an error of type : Error in scan(file =
file, what = what, sep = sep, quote = quote, dec = dec,  :
	line 1 did not have 9 elements

Here is my code:

varnames <- c("names", "symbol", "price", "displ", "gas", "weight", "reliab",
"origin", "type")

cardat <- read.table("PowerMac 7300:Logiciels de
Statistiques:rm162:car02.txt", col.names=varnames,
as.is=c(F,T,F,F,F,F,F,F,F,F))

Can you advice me ?

Thanks in advance,

Pascale Tremblay