[R] Read.table problem

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sat Feb 1 13:30:11 CET 2003

Dear Pascale,

It seems an obvious question, so perhaps not worth asking, but did you
check that line 1 of the data file actually has 9 elements (separated by
white space)? (I notice that your as.is argument specifies 10 elements; I
don't believe that this should cause a problem if there are really 9.) If
inspection of the file doesn't reveal the problem, you could try to run
count.fields() on the file to see how many elements R thinks are in each line.

John

At 09:24 PM 1/31/2003 -0500, ptremb17 wrote:
>Hi !
>
>I am new to R, and using the MAC version onto Mac OS 9.1. My question
>concerns
>the problem I encounter when I try to read some data I have using the
>read.table function. I always get an error of type : Error in scan(file =
>file, what = what, sep = sep, quote = quote, dec = dec,  :
>         line 1 did not have 9 elements
>
>Here is my code:
>
>varnames <- c("names", "symbol", "price", "displ", "gas", "weight", "reliab",
>"origin", "type")
>
>cardat <- read.table("PowerMac 7300:Logiciels de
>Statistiques:rm162:car02.txt", col.names=varnames,
>as.is=c(F,T,F,F,F,F,F,F,F,F))

John Fox
Department of Sociology
McMaster University