[R] basic question

Jari Oksanen jarioksa at sun3.oulu.fi
Tue Feb 4 10:31:13 CET 2003

On Tue, 2003-02-04 at 10:46, Archaux Frederic wrote:

> Up to now, I only used precompiled packages. As I am working on vegetation
> ecology, I would be interested in using a package not stored by CRAN called
> labdsv_0.9-1.tar.gz and developped by Dave Roberts at the National Center
> for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (unfortunately I did not find any
> corresponding .zip file).
>
> Although I tried to follow the proposed guidelines  to install such a file
> in R, I did not succeed. I installed the library tools, the Perl and the
> MinGW softwares, but I feel all this stuff is useless in my case (my
> knowledge in informatic in so poor that I am reduced to "intuitions"!)
>
> I know this is probably one of the most FAQ, but I did not find the answer
> to my problem on the R-CRAN web site. Thank you in advance!

Frédéric,

Dave Roberts is not yet quite finished up with his package -- it is
labelled as a zero version for a reason. He wrote to me that it won't
compile in Windows yet, for an unknown reason. He said that he got to
edit the FORTRAN files to compile them in Windows (they work in Linux).
However, he had still some other problems and so you got to dyn.load the
resulting dll into R, which, but in Dave's words "That concept is
completely foreign to windows people of course, so it's pretty much
useless."

It may be that you have to wait until Dave Roberts lectures on these
methods again, since then he may have to finish up the package.

cheers, jari oksanen
--
Jari Oksanen -- Dept Biology, Univ Oulu, 90014 Oulu, Finland
Ph. +358 8 5531526, cell +358 40 5136529, fax +358 8 5531061